Soccer club’s dog mascot poisoned

Soccer club’s dog mascot poisoned

A dog that was considered a mascot of the Greek soccer club Asteras Tripolis in southern Greece has been lethally poisoned, the team’s fan club has announced on its Facebook page.

“We lost our own tiger, the one who barked to celebrate with us when we celebrated, who welcomed every member by wagging his tail, the one who knew who goes in and out of our house,” Tigers Club said, blaming municipal authorities for failing to do their job to protect animals.

Rex was not a stray, someone wrote on the club’s page.

In a separate Facebook post, Tripoli’s animal welfare association warned locals to be particularly vigilant when walking their dogs, noting that at least 10 have been found poisoned. 

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.