Caught scarf led to womens’ lift deaths

A disabled Greek woman died of a heart attack after her Ukranian helper choked to death when her scarf got caught in the elevator of an apartment block in central Athens on Sunday night, police said yesterday. The women, both aged 46, were leaving a party taking place in a Kolonaki apartment when the lift in which they were riding became stuck between the second and third floors. Residents called the fire brigade immediately but both women were found dead when firemen were able to gain access to the elevator. Investigators concluded that the Ukranian woman’s scarf snagged on something in the shaft and as soon as the lift began its descent, she choked to death. The disabled women suffered a heart attack caused by shock and died instantaneously, officers said. Police are investigating whether the elevator had been serviced properly.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.