NEWS

In Brief

Flight disruptions

Workers’ action causes delays, some cancellations Air-traffic controllers on Saturday called off plans to stage rolling 24-hour strikes after a court ruled the scheduled action as illegal. But the workers, who are demanding better wages and the recruitment of more staff, launched a «work-to-rule protest» early yesterday. The action, set to continue this week, caused a few flight cancellations and delays as the controllers observed strict limits on the number of aircraft allowed into Greek air space at any given time. Representatives of the tourism sector, reeling from the impact of a series of strikes by workers protesting the government’s austerity measures, have condemned air-traffic controllers for aggravating their problems. ISAP upheaval Attiki-Monastiraki route out Commuters who use the Piraeus-Kifissia urban electric railway (ISAP) will face additional disruptions as of today, as the section between the Attiki and Monastiraki stations in central Athens is being closed. The Athens Urban Transport Organization (OASA) said this section would remain out of service until the end of the year due to engineering works. It is the latest suspension of services on ISAP since work to modernize the track was launched last year. ISAP passengers can use lines 2 and 3 of the metro to make the connection between Attiki and Monastiraki. Wildfires Strong winds fueled several wildfires that broke out in different parts of the country yesterday, causing damage but no injuries. The largest blaze reported was near a forest in Kastrisi, north of Patra in western Greece. Thirty firemen dispatched to douse the blaze took several hours to bring it under partial control. Another fire that broke out near Neorio, on Poros, also had been partially controlled by late yesterday. Other blazes were reported near Tanagra in Viotia prefecture, and in Gerolimena, Laconia. Tourism probe An Athens prosecutor on Saturday started examining the findings of a probe by state public administration officials regarding the alleged mismanagement of more than 70 million euros in funding destined for tourism promotion campaigns in 2008 and 2009. Deputy Culture and Tourism Minister Giorgos Nikitiadis said that the case should be sent to Parliament if the prosecutor’s probe ends up apportioning blame to politicians. Molotov assault A group of youths yesterday hurled five Molotov-cocktail bombs at a unit of riot police officers in the central Athens district of Exarchia. The attack, which occurred at around 3 a.m., did not result in any injuries or damage. Immediately after the incident, police detained two people but released them shortly afterward as no incriminating evidence was found. Teens rescued Three French teenagers who had been reported missing in the Cretan prefecture of Hania late on Saturday after embarking on a hiking expedition were found early yesterday morning close to the Gouverneto Monastery where they had begun their walk. The two boys, aged 13 and 15, and the girl, aged 17, were unhurt, police on the island said.