Greek fish farming sees sales register new record

Greek fish farming sees sales register new record

Aquaculture sales climbed to a 10-year high in 2021, but the industry is expressing concern over the impact of increased inflationary pressures in the economy, the Hellenic Aquaculture Producers Organization (HAPO) said in a survey released on Friday.

More specifically, sales by fish farms totaled 131,250 tons, worth €636 million, up 7% in volume and 10% in value compared with 2020. Sea bream and sea bass accounted for 96% of sales (125,550 tons).

Exports totaled 100,361 tons worth €499 million in 2021, up 9% in volume and in value compared with the previous year.

Some 80% of exports were distributed in EU countries and third countries, with the remaining 20% sold in the domestic market.

Italy, Spain and France remained the top export destination markets, accounting for 58% of Greek production.

Despite increased competition, average prices for sea bream and sea bass rose 1.5% and 6%, respectively.

The industry said that the negative impacts resulting from the pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine have raised production costs by 25%.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

Enter your information below to receive our weekly newsletters with the latest insights, opinion pieces and current events straight to your inbox.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.